Monday, September 17, 2012

Sept. 17th Blog


The way in which your literacy foundation is created can predict so much about your future in literacy. Through these two readings I was fascinated with what all creates your literacy foundation. In "The Jones Family Culture of Literacy," it was really neat how they incorporated literacy in all that they did. From financial aspects to religious aspects, the important role of literacy in each of these was cherished and made aware to each family member. When reading this article it really made me think of students I might have that would not be so fortunate to have this strong literacy foundation from home. I hope that I can help each student form a strong passion for literacy even if they are not being taught the importance of it at home. 

Before reading chapter three I truly did not realize the value of developing literacy at home, especially at an early age. Chapter three mentioned how children who come to school with ideas of why we read have been exposed to many real world situations in which reading is necessary. I had never heard of "Pretend Reading," until chapter three but many instances of this fled my mind when I came across this paragraph. My cousin is 4 years old and he loves to sit and "pretend read" books for hours upon hours. I can really see where literacy around the home can be a wonderful foundation for children. I also loved reading through ways in which I can promote literacy in my classroom. I hope to spark children's passion for literacy and make it a fun thing to learn in the classroom. In closing, I have truly realized the importance of promoting literacy at home beginning at a young age in order to have the children go to school and have a foundation already built. 

In what ways did your home environment influence your literacy foundation? 

3 comments:

  1. My home environment influenced my literacy foundation because my parents instilled in my siblings and I the value of education. I don't have any memories of my parents reading to me but I'm sure my older brothers did. I also remember reading to my younger siblings as well. Looking back, it's really cool to realize that we helped each other establish a literacy foundation because my parents were always busy working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of "Pretend Reading" either until reading chapter three. I work with preschoolers and they love to pretend to read and make up stories on their own based on the pictures. My home environment definitely influenced my literacy because my parents encouraged me to read often. Every night before bed, everyone in my family would spend 30 minutes reading even before I had learned to read. I'd spend those 30 minutes looking at my books which increased my desire to read so I could be like my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My home environment helped in many ways more than just my parents reading to me. My parents did read to me, but literacy was incorporated in other ways I never really thought of before. Little things like playing board games, like Monopoly, helped me learn to read.

    ReplyDelete