Sunday, October 14, 2012

Blog for October 15th: Creating Fluent Readers

http://youtu.be/PN9sE_b7j7o

Creating Fluent Readers: Rasinski, T. 

Reading fluency is something that many people tend to have their own definition for. There are three important dimensions of reading fluency which are: accuracy in reading, automatic processing, and prosodic reading. These three dimensions require students to be able to sound it out, use little mental effort, and put text into syntactically and semantically appropriate units. Teachers can assess a students reading fluency through many different ways such as calculating the percentage of words a reader can accurately decode on grade level material. A way that teachers can calculate a students reading rate is by having them read on their grade level for 60 seconds. 

Two ways which help improve reading fluency is repeated reading and assisted reading. If you add in couching with these two ways then it can really become a classroom routine and will greatly help your students. Some teachers make the mistake of confusing being fluent with being fast. A student might be able to read quickly but might have no comprehension of what he or she just read. What are some ways in which you will be sure to promote reading fluency in your classroom? I really loved the "Readers Theater," in the attached Youtube video. I know that at a young age I enjoyed reading with much expression and having those who read to me changing voices or doing different actions. 

3 comments:

  1. I liked the idea of a readers theatre too, it's a fun way for kids to use expression and emphasis! I really liked the idea of having students read along to a book while listening to it on tape. This way, they hear what a fluent reader sounds like while they are taking in the text on their own. It helps train their mind to see words and pick up the meaning. I think that combined with other assisted and repeated reading, these are great ways to encourage fluency in young readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One way that I'm sure to use to promote reading fluency in my classroom is Echo Reading. This involves reading a sentence or passage aloud first, then having the child to repeat the same phrase. I feel that this is a great way to help a child decode words they may not know. It also allows the child to put a twist to the text by adding their own expression of the words. Overall the key is to make sure the child understands the text while not struggling to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Theater reading too! I like the idea of giving kids opportunities to use expression and emphasis so they don't feel uncomfortable doing so. I used to hate when teachers would call on me to read, so I would never want to make a student feel 'forced' to read, but rather give them plenty of opportunities to read in a fun like manner so they will enjoy it, and achieve fluency at the same time!

    ReplyDelete