Saturday, October 6, 2012

October 8th Blog: Making Words

http://youtu.be/7nxljktf-Hw


Making Words 

Making words is a fun way to help young students with decoding, spelling phonetically, and phonemic awareness. It has been found that there is a relationship between spelling ability and ability to identify words in a reading, which is why "Making Words" is such a helpful method of teaching. Not only is this a simple activity but it is also short and is recommended to be only fifteen minutes. Children will make between 12 and 15 words and will begin with two letter words until they gradually increase to larger words. An example is the word spider. By using a pocket chart the letters e, p, i, s, d, r are presented to each child. The teacher may start out with the word "Ed" then go to "Red." Many students would then change the uppercase E to lowercase and the teacher can ask them why they did that certain action. 

Making Words is something which I wish that I participated in when I was a young student. In elementary school I did not have much emphasis in spelling and it is apparent to this very day. My spelling is actually a big joke with my family that I get teased about often. I think that Making Words is a wonderful activity and I hope to use that in my classroom. What are some good words that you would like to do in a Making Words activity? 

2 comments:

  1. I like that you commented about how maybe this type of activity would have helped with your spelling because I could not agree with you more. I am a terrible speller, and I feel that as a child I was taught more of the entire words instead of creating the word and doing it through spelling and phonemic awareness. I believe that with this type of interactive activity I would have enjoyed reading more and could have a better vocabulary, something I am also terrible at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that words that would be good for this activity depend on the grade level. For younger kids, I think simple words with only 1 vowel would be helpful- like bring(s). This word still has lots of word options, but teaches the i vowel patterns more explicitly. For older kids, words with more than 1 vowel- like flower could be good to teach vowel combinations and more complex and varied word possibilities. Another way could be adding a word with a y as well as another vowel, like currently, to teach how y is sometimes used as a vowel and sometimes isn't.

    ReplyDelete